UW regent defends Trump after lewd remarks

Few Wisconsin Republicans withdrawing support from Trump

House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Janesville, condemned the recent comments of Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump, but many Wisconsin Republicans have not followed suit.

Donald Trump was scheduled to appear at a campaign event with Ryan in Wisconsin over the weekend, but following the release of a 2005 tape in which Trump described groping women in graphic terms, Trump’s campaign pulled the Elkhorn stop. Ryan condemned the tape, but fell short of rescinding his endorsement.

Gov. Scott Walker called Trump’s words “inexcusable” in a tweet, but also continues to endorse the candidate.

But while some politicians are saying Ryan is not doing enough by continuing to endorse Trump, one University of Wisconsin Regent is reasserting her support.

Trump gives Ryan official endorsement at Green Bay rally

UW Regent and former Lt. Gov. Margaret Farrow defended Trump, saying the eleven-year-old video was recorded without his knowledge. Farrow is part of the coalition of Wisconsin women supporting Trump.

“I’m more interested in keeping our country safe and bringing back jobs,” Farrow told the Wisconsin State Journal. “On those two points, I think he stands head and shoulders above Hillary Clinton.”

Some politicians are saying Ryan is not doing enough. Former U.S. Rep. Dave Obey, D-Wis., said in a press release from the Democratic Party of Wisconsin that Ryan puts political survival ahead of principles.

“Paul Ryan’s split level leadership which says he will not defend Donald Trump but will not withdraw his endorsement of him is morally confused and politically useless,” Obey said in the statement.

Sen. Jennifer Shilling, D-La Crosse, said in a statement that Republican politicians need to denounce Trump. She said elected officials and public leaders need to serve as role models and speak out against Trump’s “disturbing actions and offensive comments.”

Shilling also listed the Senate Republicans and candidates, 24 in total, who had not withdrawn support for Trump in her statement.