New sweets shop to debut on State Street

Dough Baby Bakery set to open June 21
Barry Adams/Wisconsin State Journal

University of Wisconsin students will have a new spot on State Street to satisfy their sweet tooth cravings with the opening of a new pastry shop, Dough Baby Bakery.

Kristen Miller, Dough Baby Bakery owner and head baker, said she is ready to be back in the work force after spending nearly three years at home to raise her son. Her shop will be located at 511 State St., taking the place of Madison Sweets.

“[My husband and I] heard through a mutual friend that the Madison Sweets owner was selling, and it was a great opportunity because the infrastructure for a bakery was already there,” Miller said.

Half of the sweet shop’s goods will be made up of doughnuts, while the other half will feature cookie sandwiches, hand pies, mini cakes, bars and brownies. Miller estimates the goods — which will be baked fresh daily — will most likely be sold at a price range between $2 to $3 each.

Even though she has worked alongside her husband, Madison chef Tory Miller, at his restaurants Graze and L’Etoile, she will run Dough Baby Bakery independently.

Inspired by her soon to be 2-year-old son, Miller said all the products will be made from organic and local ingredients.

“After having a son, [I can’t imagine] the thought of giving him something with chemicals, pesticides or something super processed,” Miller said.

She plans on working with nearby vendors, such as Westridge Farms, to provide healthy and wholesome alternative sweets.

Along with offering a healthier menu, Miller said she hopes to bring back the “real Madison feel” to State Street.

Then and now: The evolution of State Street over the years

“State Street is turning more and more into chains, and back in the day there were a lot of fun, weird local shops,” Miller said. “I think we will fit back into the real Madison feel for State Street. Plus, we have doughnuts.”

Dough Baby Bakery will open June 21 — coinciding with her son’s second birthday.