Dane County DA pursues restorative justice for campus graffiti suspect

UWPD charged student with 11 counts of graffiti
Courtesy of UWPD

Dane County District Attorney Ismael Ozanne said Tuesday his office will not prosecute the University of Wisconsin student suspected of anti-racist graffiti around campus.

UW students protested Denzel McDonald’s arrest last month and faculty took issue with the circumstances surrounding the arrest. The UW Police Department had charged McDonald with 11 counts of graffiti and one count of disorderly conduct.

[UPDATED] UWPD arrests student during class over graffiti highlighting racism on campus

The Cap Times reported McDonald’s case will instead be referred to the Community Restorative Court, which is aimed at repairing harm done by suspects. Should McDonald complete the program he would be spared having a court record.

Ozanne told The Cap Times the outcome is in McDonald’s favor, but his decision was not swayed by student protest. Instead, he said there is mounting evidence that some individuals take longer to mature and control their impulses.

[UPDATED] Hundreds protest arrest of UW student on campus

UWPD spokesperson Marc Lovicott said in an email to The Badger Herald UWPD does not oppose the DA’s decision, but declined to comment any further.