Students say ASM leadership is ignoring sexual assault allegations

‘Overall belittling or all out declining to believe the stories of survivors is outright wrong,’ a statement from advocates of the survivors said

Editor’s note: This article was updated for clarifications and additional details and to remove the name of the accused. We are hopeful that someone who has a story or statement to make on this will do so on the record.

Allegations have surfaced that UW’s student government, Associated Students of Madison, attempted to push an internal sexual assault accusation under the rug.

A spokesperson for a victim of sexual assault raised sexual assault allegations – accusing a member of ASM – at a meeting for Blind Side April 29, a UW student group that aims to use student government to address diversity issues on campus. The accused decline to comment on Sunday.

The Badger Herald met with six members of ASM and Blind Side Sunday (who requested to remain anonymous out of “psychological fear”) who gave a statement that multiple ASM leaders knew of the allegations beforehand, but defended the accused.

The six anonymous students said the actions of the accused as well as those who supported him are greatly concerning and “unspeakable.”

In an email obtained by The Badger Herald, a member of ASM said the sexual assault victim’s spokesperson was using these allegations as a “platform for political slander and blackmail,” alleging that she had changed the story from one incident to multiple assaults the week before ASM elections.

Advocates of the victims said the email invalidated the experiences of the victims.

“We firmly believe that there is room for students to learn from their mistakes, but overall belittling or all out declining to believe the stories of survivors is outright wrong,” the victim’s advocates said.

The victim’s spokesperson said she felt “attacked more than the perpetrator,” during the Blind Side meeting, in an email sent to people who had attended the meeting. She said she would “never be part of an organization that makes excuses for this type of behavior, pushes blame on others and supports someone who degrades women.”

The victim’s advocates said the allegations serve as a reminder of why survivors do not feel safe reporting sexual assault.

“This retaliation against the survivors, and those standing in solidarity with the survivors, is uncalled for and only further displays how deep rape culture runs on campus,” the statement said.

Victims can report sexual assaults to University Health Services.