Madison police chief pledges to continue efforts to end Mifflin

‘This is one party that would be better left behind as an institutional memory,’ Koval said
Katie Cooney/The Badger Herald

Madison Police Department Chief Michael Koval voiced concerns about the upcoming Mifflin Street Block Party and reaffirmed his goal to see the “non-event” eventually eliminated.

In a blog post Monday, Koval pledged the department will continue its efforts to “downsize and eliminate the event.”

“Mifflin continues to deliver a deleterious hit on staffing and overtime and certainly has all the earmarks of a very real public safety concern,” he said. “While I am generally big on supporting “traditions,” this is one “party” that would be better left behind as an institutional memory”

https://badgerherald.com/news/2016/02/17/revelry-to-be-held-at-orpheum-due-to-budget-cuts/

Koval acknowledged that Revelry’s move to the Orpheum Theater and its limited budget will make it a less effective alternative event on Saturday.

Koval said the police are attempting to control Mifflin and keep it safe for all attendees by contacting property owners, residents, students, liquor stores, elected officials, campus liaisons and media outlets to remind them that “the event is not sanctioned” and “behavior(s) will be met with citations.”

Koval highlighted MPD’s struggle to keep the party safe and controlled. He recounted past problems it has created, including bonfires in the street, students throwing bottles at fire fighters, two stabbing incidents and sexual assaults.

“The level(s) of intoxication are abysmal and the treks to detox for those so incapacitated as to be incapable of taking care of themselves is always frightening,” he said.

Mifflin has gotten “better,” from an arrests perspective. Koval said that last year there were “only” 40 arrests, but it still cost taxpayers more than $90,000 and the larger Revelry event helped attract people away from Mifflin.

Ald. Zach Wood, District 8, said the police will use “common sense enforcement” on Saturday.

Wood said students should look out for each other during Mifflin this weekend.

“If you see something [wrong], make sure it is known,” Wood said.