Student candidates for County Board debate hate crimes, criminal justice

Elections will take place Tuesday, April 5
Xiani Zhong

Two candidates for Dane County Board of Supervisors debated Monday the pressing issues facing the downtown Madison area, including recent incidents of hate crimes, criminal justice and homelessness.

The debate, hosted by Associated Students of Madison’s Legislative Affairs Committee, featured Hayley Young and Angelito Tenorio, who are running in student-dominated District 5.

Elections take place April 5.

Hayley Young, a recent University of Wisconsin graduate and former president of College Democrats, said she is running for the position because she is a candidate who students and young professionals in Dane County can rely on.

Angelito Tenorio, a UW sophomore and ASM representative, said his background as a minority student will aid in his ability to represent the student voice if elected onto the board.

Hate Crimes 

In light of a series of recent hate crimes on UW campus, both candidates proposed that the university take a stronger approach to cultural awareness on campus to avoid further incidents.

“We need to support activists on campus,” Young said. “I would use my position to force the university to, frankly, do their job.”

Young said initiatives to increase cultural awareness on campus need to take place before incidents occur, not after. Furthermore, Young said it is important that everyone is educated on these issues — not just those who are directly affected.

Tenorio said as a person of color, he has seen these incidents first-hand. To mitigate such issues, Tenorio said he would continue to work with the Multicultural Student Center and other similar organizations in order to continue to promote awareness and diversity on campus.

“What we need to do is address the real institutional racism … that we see everyday on campus,” Tenorio said.

Criminal Justice

In terms of criminal justice, both candidates agreed that solitary confinement is unacceptable. Tenorio said by putting an end to solitary confinement, the system will properly treat people like people.

Young said mass incarceration of minorities is a societal, generational and systemic problem that needs to be addressed.

Tenorio said arrests for petty crimes contribute to this issue. He said instead of putting people convicted of smaller crimes in jail, alternative programs should be implemented.

“More brown and black people are in jail, which doesn’t match the population of Dane County,” Tenorio said. “What we need to do is find ways with diversion programs and educational opportunities so people can get back on their feet and live their lives.”

Homelessness

Young and Tenorio both expressed a devotion to helping the homeless in Dane County. Young said she supports the building of a day boarding shelter that would provide services, including a place for people to do their laundry, charge their phones or apply for jobs. These services would provide outlets for the homeless that are otherwise unavailable, she said.

“There’s this problem in Dane County where people want to address homelessness but they don’t want to address it in their own backyard,” Young said.

Tenorio said historically, Dane County has tried to sweep the issue of homelessness “under the rug.” Tenorio, who said he is excited about the shelter Young referenced, reiterated that moving forward, issues of homelessness and poverty should to be continually discussed.