Former UW running back Montee Ball faces new domestic battery charges

In a separate incident last month Ball was charged with a misdemeanor

Former University of Wisconsin running back Montee Ball is facing further domestic battery charges after a criminal complaint filed Thursday stated Ball had struck and strangled a former girlfriend in June 2014.

Ball faces several new charges including strangulation and suffocation, substantial battery and two counts of domestic disorderly conduct.

Former UW running back Montee Ball arrested Friday on battery charges

Madison Police Department spokesperson Joel DeSpain told the Wisconsin State Journal the woman contacted police after hearing about the domestic violence incident that occurred Feb. 5 in a downtown Madison hotel that led to Ball’s arrest.

The woman had previously been in a relationship with Ball in 2014, Despain said. Ball and the woman got into an argument and Ball threw his phone at her, hitting her in the face. The woman also accused Ball of grabbing her around the neck and pushing her against a wall before throwing her out into the hotel hallway.

The most recent allegations follow a previous incident of domestic battery last month when Ball was arrested for disorderly conduct and charged with a misdemeanor. Ball pleaded not guilty to those charges and is awaiting trial in May.

Ball is scheduled to appear in court on Monday.