Six men charged with drug smuggling, money laundering

Suspects allegedly shipped parcels of marijuana to Madison from Oregon
Photo courtesy of Flickr user Dank Depot

Federal indictments against six men, including two from Madison, for conspiring to distribute 100kg of marijuana and laundering $2 million in profits could mean decades of jail time.

According to the Wisconsin State Journal, the men bought the drugs illegally and shipped them to Wisconsin among other areas to be sold. The individuals deposited profits from the sales within bank accounts in several states including Wisconsin and Oregon.

Those charged included two Madison men: Kyle Lux, 28, and Thay Danh, 34. The remaining four men were from Portland: Loc Bui, 42, Peter Nguyen, 35, Steven Tran, 34, and Quan Tran, 36. Their indictment was issued in January, but was only recently unsealed.

All six have face charges of conspiracy to distribute 100kg or 220 pounds of marijuana and money laundering.

If found guilty, each of the six could face a minimum of 5 years in prison with a maximum of 40 for conspiracy, and an additional 20 for money laundering, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

The indictments follow an investigation by the Wisconsin Division of Criminal Investigation, the U.S. Postal Service Inspection Service, the IRS Criminal Investigation unit and the Drug Enforcement Administration.