UW student committee approves internal budget

Budget hearing for Student Judiciary postponed due to absence of chair
Maddie Makoul

With a vote of 6 to 1, the Student Services Finance Committee approved their internal budget of $154,628.55 Thursday.

SSFC representatives went over some minor details of their budget, including the stipend for the chair, vice chair and secretary along with their budget for a training session.

Vice Chair Brett DuCharme asked his fellow representatives if they agreed with the stipend allotted to the chair, vice chair and secretary — and all representatives approved.

“The chair and vice chair are very busy, it’s a very intense position and those are the people that we send to student council, the chancellor and the provost so I think we should leave it as is,” Rep. Colin Barushok said.

Barushok then moved to change the amount allotted to the SSFC training session to $500, a decrease from the original $900. Rep. Brent Johnson agreed with Barushok, saying he believes this training session can be done somewhere on campus for less money.

But, DuCharme said since a valid alternative to the current session doesn’t exist, they should not reduce the allotment at this time.

The motion to reduce funding for the training session failed.

SSFC members also held a budget hearing for Student Judiciary. Student Election Commission Chair Min Hwang was present to answer questions regarding the Student Judiciary’s budget. Since the chair of Student Judiciary was not present, SSFC decided it would be better to table the budget decision until their next meeting.

“I’m sorry to push the budget back and I think it was unprecedented that the chair wasn’t here,” DuCharme said.

The next SSFC meeting will take place Monday.