DNA match found in 2008 University of Wisconsin student killing

Due to ongoing investigation, victim’s family did not release a name
Photo courtesy of WKOW

The family of University of Wisconsin student Brittany Zimmermann announced Tuesday the discovery of a DNA match for a possible suspect linked to her 2008 murder, though police are not yet ready to make an arrest.

Zimmermann was stabbed to death April 2, 2008, inside of her Doty Street apartment when she was 21-years-old.

UW junior found dead in Doty Street home; killer still at large

According to a Channel 3000 article, Zimmermann’s family announced the finding, but declined to release the name of the individual because no charges have been filed.

“We have known of the match for some time and were hopeful that things would have come together and an arrest would be made,” the Zimmermanns said in a statement to Channel 3000.

Madison Police Department Chief Mike Koval told Channel 3000 the investigation is still underway despite eight years having gone by. He said resources are still being used to determine the identity of the killer and urged anyone with new information to come forward.

In a previous version of this article, Mike Koval’s title was misidentified and has since been changed. The Badger Herald regrets this error.