Affordable housing development appealed at City Council meeting

Area residents concerned about location, traffic
Joey Reuteman

Concerned area residents appealed a formerly approved south side affordable housing development at a City Council meeting Tuesday.

The City Council had approved the 36-unit affordable housing project and 14,000 square-foot community center at 2230 W. Broadway Jan. 13, but concerned residents appealed the decision, Ald. Sheri Carter, District 14, said.

Carter said the neighbors have a multitude of concerns with the biggest one being the location of the neighborhood center. Those opposed to the project believe the development would increase traffic congestion in the area, causing major inconveniences, Carter said.

In addition, Carter said those opposed to the development are concerned children in the neighborhood would have to walk past a bar on their way to the neighborhood center as a result of its location.

The appeal required signatures from at least 20 percent of the landowners located within 200 feet of the proposed development, she said.

Carter encouraged the community engagement in light of this appeal.

“I think that every form of engagement is good, and I think that even the folks that are in opposition have a right to have their voices heard,” she said.

Currently, one of the City Council’s main goals is to increase the amount of affordable housing available in the city, Carter said.

She said while she believes her district has sufficient affordable housing, newer affordable housing is in short supply.

“I believe that District 14 does have an adequate amount of affordable housing, but what we don’t have is new affordable housing,” Carter said. “Most of our affordable housing has been around for 20 years or more.”

Ald. Amanda Hall, District 3, said she is in favor of increased affordable housing.

The city must continue to produce new units of affordable housing for an indefinite amount of time to placate Madison’s current housing shortage, she said.

“I am in favor of affordable housing,” Hall said. “We need to be building thousands of units of housing every year just so we can keep up with demand.”

City Council deferred the appeal until March 1.