Madison resident creates app aimed at informing voters

‘1myvote’ allows users to browse political candidates, learn how to run for office, register to vote online

For some, staying up to date on political candidates during election season can be a daunting task. Thanks to Madison resident Emily Kuhn, there’s now an app for that.

Kuhn recalled standing at the polls during the 2014 election season and realizing there were certain names on the ballot she didn’t recognize.

This inspired Kuhn to create 1myvote, a smartphone app that educates voters on political candidates. The app allows voters to browse through complete lists of all possible candidates in presidential, senatorial and gubernatorial races. Lists of candidates for local races are also available, but only in Dane County and Kenosha County for the time being, Kuhn said.

“I just want to help voters get more educated and feel more comfortable when they get to the polls,” Kuhn said. “The long-term goal is to encourage voters to look at candidates and ask if they look like [them].”

Kuhn said the app was in part developed with University of Wisconsin students in mind.

UW students who are new to Wisconsin or want to stay up on Wisconsin politics while out-of-state could benefit from the app, Kuhn said.

“We did think about UW students when we designed the app because students may be trying to vote absentee back home or may be new to Wisconsin and our voting process,” Kuhn said.

The app allows users to browse through lists of candidates and flag the candidates they like, allowing users to keep track of their favorite candidates, Kuhn said.

The app also includes a “voter resources” tab which enables voters to register to vote online, contains absentee ballots and information on running for office.

“We are attempting one stop shopping,” Kuhn said. “So, if you get frustrated wondering who your representative is, then the voter resources tab can help you.”

Kuhn said she designed the app last February but it was ultimately released in early July 2015. She intends to make the app functional for local elections nationally and also hopes the app will diversify government.

“By 2020, we want to be down to the local bases nationally,” Kuhn said. “That’s where we feel candidates get their experience, and if we are getting more people to represent us locally, then they can gain experience and run for higher office.”