MGE seeks to go green despite decades-long coal contract

Energy company will also forego rate hike for next year
Photo courtesy of Flickr user Margo palmer

Madison Gas & Electric announced new commitments Wednesday to deliver green energy to the city in their Energy 2030 initiative and city officials are confident the change in direction is necessary for making Madison more sustainable.

The plan includes a transition to making 30 percent of retail energy sales from renewable resources by 2030, and a milestone goal to supply 25 percent of retail energy sales with renewable sources by 2025. But with a multi-decade coal commitment, it is unclear how dedicated the company is to creating a greener brand.

MGE commits to increasing renewable energy, but pricing structure favors using more electricity

MGE faced tremendous community opposition from their 2014 request to increase the fixed rate customers pay for electricity, Ald. David Ahrens, District 15, said. Ahrens explained this outcry caused the company to initiate community conversations, which allow for individuals to voice their opinions and suggest improvements.

RePower Madison spokesperson Mitch Brey said MGE had listened to community input, but the new plan marks the first time they’ve given information back to the community.

“I can’t imagine that this is necessarily final because the community hasn’t had a chance to react yet,” Brey said.

RePower Madison, Brey said, was founded in response to MGE’s proposed billing scheme to raise fixed rates for customers. Their main purpose is to persuade the company to decrease their reliance on carbon polluting fuels while being economically conscious.

Conservation group petitions MG&E to reevaluate new rates

Brey said the attention RePower Madison and others drew to MGE’s fee increase influenced the company’s decision to move toward sustainability. Brey said RePower Madison hopes to be involved in enhancing the plan, which he feels can be more ambitious.

In regard to the specifics of the plan, Brey said much more discussion is necessary for the community to endorse it.

Brey said he suspects wind power will play a very big role in the plans because it is easier for the company to invest in. The details for achieving the goals the company proposed will be negotiated once the community has had the chance to comprehend MGE’s objectives, Brey said.

Though the company has made plans to generate renewable energy sources and reduce carbon emissions, they are involved in a multi-decade coal contract, Ahrens said.

Brey said RePower Madison finds this concerning, as MGE has not yet addressed their long term commitment to coal.

Ahrens said the plan will require a major engineering project, and the city has requested MGE work with them to install solar facilities for buildings. He said it will take more than a decade for the company to fulfill their goals, and changes will be incremental.

“The important thing is that they have a goal, which they never had before,” Ahrens said. “The other thing is that they have a community that is willing to pay for it.”

But MGE is listening. Ahrens said he has participated in community conversations facilitated by Justice & Sustainability Associates, the company MGE hired to promote community engagement. Both Ahrens and Brey said they give the company credit for their willingness to learn what the people of Madison want.