Department of Workforce Development, Madison College team up to help displaced Oscar Mayer workers

Workers can receive scholarships to take classes, sharpen skills
Photo courtesy of Flikr user Doug Wertman

In response to Oscar Mayer’s decision to shut down its Madison location, the South Central Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development and Madison College are working together to provide assistance to the displaced workers.

The South Central Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development contacted Madison College after hearing the news to establish a plan to get previous employees new jobs. One of the duties of the department is to help dislocated workers revamp their skill set, Terry Webb, provost at Madison college, said.

The Madison Oscar Mayer plant has been in operation since the 1920s. The shut down is especially startling because workers were given no real forewarning, Webb said.

“Many have parents, even grandparents, who worked at the plant,” Webb said. “It’s quite an institution in the city.”

Oscar Mayer plant to close, layoff 1,000 employees

To combat the loss of large employers like Oscar Mayer, the South Central Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development has funds set aside for dislocated workers to return to school and gain new skills, Webb said.

The department will send response teams comprised of academic, career and financial advisors directly to the workplace, who will assess the skills of each worker and help them determine how to move forward, Webb said.

The department will also provide scholarships for displaced workers to take classes at Madison College, Webb said.

Madison College, Webb said, offers courses specifically designed to assist dislocated workers. The college offers computer training, writing and math refreshment, technical training and more.

Graduates from healthcare programs, information technology, highly skilled manufacturing and industrial mechanics are in high demand, Webb said.

Many workers are apprehensive about starting school, especially those who have been out of academia for decades. It’s a very stressful time for many individuals, Webb said. Even with scholarships and outside funds, many workers remain under great strain to generate a living income, he said.

“Ultimately, most dislocated workers just want to get back to work and continue to support their families,” Webb said.

It’s difficult to estimate how many people will use the programs the college provides, Webb said. Some people may move, retire or simply re-enter the workforce.

Oscar Mayer has not confirmed what type of severance packages or benefits they will provide to the displaced workers, Barry Gerhart, University of Wisconsin professor of management and human resources, said. But regardless of the compensation, the closure will be a major challenge for displaced employees.

Oscar Mayer is closing due to a merger, which Gerhart said commonly results in unemployment.

Oscar Mayer’s closing could have a negative effect on Madison’s economy, as well as pose an incredible challenge for those who have been laid off, Gerhart said.

“People will probably be hard-pressed to find jobs that paid as well as Oscar Mayer, for similar type of work,” Gerhart said.