Soglin sets stage for City Council ‘showdown,’ moves on public market creation

Despite wide support, budget constraints may stall project
Erik Brown

Mayor Paul Soglin’s proposed public market may be cause for budget turmoil as City Council is set to vote on the budget Nov. 10.

The market would provide a space for local food producers to sell their goods and occupy the current fleet services building at East Johnson Street and North First Street. It is projected to cost more than $30 million.

Last week, Soglin introduced an amendment to begin work on the market in 2016, which had previously been slated for 2021. City Council members said the amendment will likely be contested as some doubt its feasibility.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he was unsure as to whether he would support the amendment given the city’s fiscal limitations. He said he believes many council members support the eventual construction of the market, but some feel there isn’t room for it in this year’s budget.

“It’s a significant amount of money and I don’t know how we’re going to be able to afford it,” Verveer said.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2015/04/30/city-releases-first-draft-of-business-plan-for-public-market/

Ald. Marsha Rummel, District 6, said she wasn’t expecting the public market to be added to capital budget. She said the council had already approved many other projects and Soglin likely felt he should also push his own priorities.

She said Madison’s east side has had issues with the availability of fresh foods, and she believes the market will help alleviate some of these needs.

“I think this will be really exciting,” Rummel said. “It could add a lot of long-term spin-offs that could be helpful.”

https://badgerherald.com/news/2015/10/21/uw-slow-foods-receives-grant-to-bring-produce-to-south-madison/

Rummel said the original decision to push back the project had been unfortunate after she had worked to generate enthusiasm for it earlier in the year.

Verveer said the market, combined with other big ticket items, such as a midtown police station, will culminate in a swollen capital budget.

“All that will yield a significant budget to say the least, so we’re going to have quite a showdown at the council meeting on Nov. 10,” Verveer said.

Soglin had threatened to veto any budget which does not contain the market within it, Verveer said.

Verveer said he believes the interest in the market among the community and alders will have to contend with the harsh realities of the city’s budgeting priorities. He said ultimately the arguments presented at the council meeting will sway his vote.

Regardless of whether or not the amendment passes, Verveer remains convinced the city will eventually build the market.

“It’s not a matter of if we get the public market, it’s when,” Verveer said.