MFD’s new spokesperson broadcasts news, jazzy vibes on campus

Former radio producer continues show at student radio station, keeps public informed on fires
Photo courtesy of Cynthia Schuster

Cynthia Schuster’s move from public radio to the Madison Fire Department continues her life’s work of communication, but closer to the community.

Schuster, MFD’s public information officer, continues to work for Wisconsin Public Radio part-time and hosts a music show on WSUM, University of Wisconsin’s student radio station. She said her decision to work for MFD stems from a desire to more actively engage with the local community as a broadcaster.

Schuster graduated from UW with a degree in communications and soon began working full time as a fill-in news anchor at Wisconsin Public Radio. She worked on the Ideas Networkoccasionally hosted The Joy Cardin Show and produced a national show.

She said she was attracted to WPR because of its mission-driven reporting style and widespread listenership.

“It’s a medium that allows regular people like you and me to call in and talk to state representatives,” Schuster said.

At WSUM, Schuster goes by “Grandma Cyd” on her two hour long show, The Heavy Petting Zoo, which she began hosting in 2005. The inspiration for her DJ name, she said, comes from a college nickname that stuck.

Saturdays between 7 to 9 p.m., The Heavy Petting Zoo plays “the best make-out music and more from the 1930s, ’40s and ’50s,” according to the WSUM website. Schuster said it was common for people to choose bizarre show titles, and she chose The Heavy Petting Zoo to meet that standard.

“I wanted to think of something catchy that would lure people in wondering ‘what the heck is this?’” Schuster said. “The show itself is quite normal.”

Schuster said she continues to find new music for her radio show, usually in the form of old records. The biggest problem, she said, is she struggles to find room for her collection.

Schuster hopes to continue hosting the show for as long as possible.

She said her time working at WPR was very rewarding, but she did not feel as close a connection with her listeners as she wanted. In taking the job as MFD’s public information officer, she said she is able to use the communications skills she has honed over the years and at the same time become closer with the community.

Schuster said she continues to fill in at WPR on occasion, as well as teaching intermediate radio skills classes at WSUM.

Schuster said she’s surprised what she set out to do after graduation has worked out so well. She said her continued presence at WSUM has had an effect on the content of student shows.

“New DJs have tried to emulate my show and I’m glad to hear there’s a newfound appreciation for this,” Schuster said.