UW wins patent lawsuit against Apple

Technology giant could lose up to $862 million in damages
Flickr user Daniel Go

A U.S. jury announced Tuesday iPhone maker, Apple Inc., unlawfully used University of Wisconsin technology in many of its products, Reuters reported.

The Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation filed the federal lawsuit in February 2014, claiming the technology giant’s A7 processing chip infringed on a WARF patent.

According to Reuters, the jury considered whether Apple’s A7, A8 and A8x processors, which improve processor efficiency and can be found in the iPhone 5s, 6, 6 Plus and various iPads, infringed on WARF’s 1998 patent.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2014/02/03/warf-files-suit-apple-cs/

Though, according to Reuters, the Califronia-based technology company denied any infringement, the jury found otherwise.

The trial will now decide how much Apple owes in damages, which, Reuters reported, could be up to $862.4 million.

According to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, the same patent was also the basis of a 2008 lawsuit which WARF filed against Intel Corp. But this suit was resolved through a settlement in 2009 in which Intel paid the university an undisclosed amount of money.

Reuters also reported WARF has launched a new lawsuit against Apple, this time targeting their A9 and A9X chips, which can be found in the newly-released and highly popular iPhone 6s, 6s Plus and the iPad Pro.

Correction: An earlier version of this article misidentified the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation. The Badger Herald regrets this error.