Police arrest known sex offender downtown

Suspect targeted women in a State Street garage
Joey Reuteman

Madison police arrested a registered sex offender Thursday, Oct.8, for reportedly masturbating in front of people inside the State Street Capitol Garage on North Carroll Street.

The arrest followed several disturbing incidents targeting female victims in which the man, 32-year-old Joshua Noone, left messages written on pornographic images left on a victim’s vehicle and at a hair salon. Upon arrest, police discovered the man was a registered sex offender from Illinois living in Madison under an assumed name.

According to a Madison Police Department incident report:

Tuesday, Oct.6, a victim encountered Noone, masturbating inside the parking garage while viewing pornography.

One woman found a pornographic photo with the message “join us” inscribed on it atop her car while another discovered a similar image near a hair salon connected to the garage, according to MPD Spokesperson Joel DeSpain.

Other women reported the suspect had stared at them whenever they were within the garage.

All the women involved indicated they had found the events disturbing.

Investigators arrested James inside the downtown library. The man admitted to committing the crimes but upon being questioned about his prior sex offense convictions and identity, he denied everything.

Once police presented evidence supporting their assumptions, the suspect admitted to his former conviction and name.

Noone was arrested on two counts of lewd behavior and disorderly conduct.