SSFC denies funding eligibility to American Indian student organization

The committee approved Veterans, Educators and Traditional Student’s eligibility, denied Wunk Sheek
ALPs representatives Lily Blind (left) and Sarah Sausen (right)

Student Services Finances Committee approved the eligibility of Veterans, Educators and Traditional Students, declined that of Wung Sheek and heard a presentation from Adventure Learning Programs Monday.

VETS gains SSFC approval

Veterans, Educators and Traditional Students first presented their case to the committee Thursday and the committee felt they had enough information to approve of the eligibility application from the organization.

SSFC approves of Live Free eligibility, considers two other organizations

VETS President James O’Rourke spoke again at the hearing, thanking SSFC.

“I’m glad the committee was able to see the value of the services VETS provides,” O’Rourke said. “This will really help us educate the student body about the veteran experience and support the student veterans at University of Wisconsin.”

SSFC approved VETS’ funding in an almost unanimous vote, but one member abstained.

Wung Sheek falls short for eligibility

Despite VETS’ approval, the committee declined Native American educational organization Wunk Sheek’s request for funding.

During a long debate focusing on the clarity of the application, representatives discussed whether the organization had enough core programming offered throughout the school year.

“Based on what they presented to us, I think they explained to us how they implemented core programming, but they still didn’t answer questions in terms of what they would do for future core programming,” Rep. Brent Johnson said.

Wunk Sheek President Emily Nelis said to increase core programming, the organization could host more monthly or bi-monthly events both semesters in addition to movie nights and discussions about American Indian culture.

The committee listened to Nelis’s explanations and later decided against approving their eligibility in a 1-9 vote, with four members abstaining.

“It is important that the committee reviews the core programming presented in the organizations application and is able to justify the need for year-long funding,” SSFC Chair Thuy Pham said. “We hope that not only Wunk Sheek, but other new organizations will apply for eligibility in the future.”

ALPs hearing

After the Wunk Sheek decision, Adventure Learning Programs presented their reasoning for SSFC funding.

Rep. Lily Blind and Rep. Sarah Sausen said ALPs’ mission is to challenge people through adventure-based learning to discover themselves and those around them.

Implementing the practice of “choose your challenge,” Blind said the organization allows participants to push themselves as much as they are comfortable with during their workshops.

In addition, Sausen said ALPs is readily available to all students on campus. They utilize a high and low ropes course when weather cooperates, as well as ground workshops that are facilitated throughout the year.

“For teamwork and problem solving, our activities themselves promote and require teamwork and problem solving from our participants,” Blind said. “In addition, our facilitators must also work together to problem solve as we plan for workshops and think of ways to better serve our students.”

The committee will make their decision on ALPs’ eligibility at their next meeting Oct. 8.