Local leader steps in as director of Alumni Park project

Mary Carbine joins the Wisconsin Alumni Association
Courtesy of the Wisconsin Alumni Association

A long-time leader in the Madison community has joined the Wisconsin Alumni Association to take the reins on the Alumni Park.

Mary Carbine, Madison’s Central Business Improvement District executive director, will become the managing director of the WAA’s Alumni Park project starting Oct. 12, according to WAA release.

Carbine will also oversee the programming for One Alumni Place, an alumni gathering place in the Below Alumni Center that is expected to be completed by March 1, 2016.

She described taking over the Alumni Park project as a “fantastic opportunity.”

“This really brings together so many aspects of my career,” Carbine said.

City approves plans for Memorial Union renovations, Alumni Park

Carbine has had extensive experience working to bridge University of Wisconsin and the Madison community together. Carbine headed the Wisconsin Film Festival for five years, a UW Community Program dedicated to spreading university expertise and creativity into the community, she said. During this time, the ticket sales for the festival grew from 3,000 to 24,000, according to the release.

For the last 12 years, Carbine has served as the executive director of Madison’s BID, which works to constantly improve State Street and Capitol Square. Carbine said this experience gave her an understanding of public spaces in the downtown area.

Paula Bonner, WAA president, said in the release that she looks forward to having Carbine heading up the Alumni Park team.

“I’m excited to have Mary join our team,” Bonner said. “Her experience with downtown Madison, and the energy and enthusiasm that she brought to the Wisconsin Film Festival, will help ensure that Alumni Park becomes a beloved campus landmark.”

Alumni park is a “gift” to UW from its alumni. The site for the park will be located on Lake Mendota, between the Below Alumni Center and Memorial Union. Work on the park began this past summer.

Memorial Union renovations will bring temporary closures, relocations, sub shops

The park will offer a green space for students and community members alike, as well as providing educational materials on UW alumni and their achievements, Carbine said. The park will be designed to allow visitors to experience the Wisconsin Idea of bringing about good beyond the university.

“It will provide the campus and general community with another wonderful way to enjoy the lakefront,” Carbine said. “But more than that, the park will allow park visitors to engage with content about alumni and their achievements at the university and beyond.”