Printing company plans to create 500 new Wisconsin jobs

Company expects to create all new jobs in less than five years

After securing a new printing contract, Quad/Graphics Inc.,  announced it will create 500 new jobs in Wisconsin by 2020.

The Sussex-based company chose to expand and add new locations in Wisconsin partly because of incentives from the Wisconsin Economic Development Corporation promised to the company, Claire Ho, Quad/Graphics spokesperson, said.

According to the WEDC, the expansion will qualify the company for $15.7 million in tax credits.

“Incentives provided by the WEDC made it ideal to put work here in this platform,” Ho said. “We did have other options, but we’re glad that we could work with the WEDC to receive the incentives.”

Another factor in Quad/Graphic’s decision was the efficiency and location of existing centers for distribution, Ho said. As the print industry continues to consolidate because of volume decline, the company has tried to maximize its use of its efficient platforms, she said.

Wisconsin’s location in the center of the country makes it ideal for distribution nationwide, she said. Since much of their product is printed under time constraints, printing products close to where they will be distributed is key.

“[Wisconsin is] located in the middle of the country so we can distribute east and west and south; that makes it efficient from that standpoint,” Ho said. “Certainly, east of the Mississippi is huge population centers so we’re really close to where the product is consumed.”  

The company has until 2020 to fill the 500 new jobs, and Ho said hiring has already begun. She said she is optimistic Quad/Graphics could fill the positions in fewer than five years.

Tricia Braun,WEDC deputy secretary and chief operating officer, said she was pleased with Quad/Graphics progress so far in a statement to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

“The company continues to out-perform its projections and their choice to expand in Wisconsin is a testament to our strong workforce and the strength of our business climate,” Braun said.

The majority of the jobs will be production positions that require workers to work on and operate the company’s technical equipment, Ho said.

All of the jobs will be added to the company’s 10 existing Wisconsin facilities, including West Allis, Franklin, New Berlin, Menomenee, Burlington, Hartford and Sussex locations, Ho said.  

Quad/Graphics made the announcement to expand its workforce after receiving a contract worth more than $500 million from Hearst Magazines in April.

Hearst Magazine operates several popular magazine publications such as Good Housekeeping, Cosmopolitan and Popular Mechanics.   

In a statement from the April agreement, David Carey, President of Hearst Magazines said he was pleased with their contract extension.

“Magazines have the power to inspire and transport readers through beautiful images, expert curation and unique points-of-view,” Carey said. “Working with Quad/Graphics, we are able to constantly push the boundaries of what magazines can be, to create memorable, impactful experiences for readers and marketers with every issue.”