Study shows high numbers of student drinkers live close to booze

Report shows high number of underage drinkers, vast array of alcohol outlets
Claire Larkins

Proximity to classes isn’t the only thing students are searching for when hunting for housing. A recent study shows student drinkers tend to live significantly closer to alcohol retailers.

The study, published in WMJ, the scientific journal for the Wisconsin Medical Society, found University of Wisconsin students who drink live closer to bars, liquor stores and other alcohol outlets than those who don’t, and more than half of underage students drink.

The research followed 166 UW students and found the average number of alcohol outlets within a two mile radius of a student’s residence was 245 outlets.

The study also revealed 79 percent of white people drink compared to only 57 percent of non-white people. The study found no difference in the drinking rates of those who live in dorms versus those who live off campus. More than three-quarters of participants were drinkers, with little disparity among men and women.

UW Professor Richard Brown, an expert on drug and alcohol screenings, said the findings only confirm the results of previous studies.

High density of alcohol venues correlates with college student binge drinking

Researchers found that while there may indeed be a correlation between the number of outlets and the amount of underage drinking, causation cannot be implied. Brown said he agreed and said the widespread alcohol availability is compounded by Wisconsin’s relatively cheap prices.

Brown said the problems posed by drinking means policy makers must take bold actions and make UW a healthier environment for students.

“We know cost and access are key determinants of drinking; what we now need is policy that reflects the research,” Brown said.

But Ald. Zach Wood, District 8, said the findings correlate with national trends and that 245 outlets is not surprising considering the many different types of alcohol licenses and the density of businesses on the isthmus.

Wood said the density of alcohol outlets has nothing to do with its consumption.

“Anyone who’s visited other campuses can see that high rates of underage drinking is the defacto,” Wood said.

Wood said prohibitory strategy would be futile and that the university made the right choice in focusing on safe drinking rather than prohibition. He said UW has done a good job with safety, but the school should focus on more effectively addressing sexual assaults.

Will Chapman, UW associate dean of students, said the university works to limit the access students have to alcohol, especially underage students. He said the university has a voice within the city’s Alcohol Licensing Review Committee and agreed with Brown on the need to curb consumption.

Chapman said he doesn’t believe the problem is growing and the city has done a good job at trying to reduce the problem of underage and excessive drinking, citing the restriction on liquor licenses and new taverns.

Chapman said UW has directly responded to the issue of drinking by instituting the AlcoholEdu program for incoming students in 2013. He stressed the importance of safety on the matter.

“We want our students to be good members of the community and not overconsume,” Chapman said.