ASM brainstorms fall campaigns, finalizes committee chairs

Elects Finance Committee, Sustainability Committee chair
Newly elected sustainability committee chair August McGinnity-Wake

The Associated Students of Madison representatives brainstormed fall semester campaigns and elected the Finance Committee and Sustainability Committee chair at their meeting Tuesday.

Fall campaigns

One proposal, from Rep. Zach Pravato, would add a required educational program that would inform students on their rights on campus when there are police officers or house fellow in the dorms. It would be similar to the Tonight sexual assault program.

Rep. Mariam Coker proposed creating a multicultural learning community in a Lakeshore dorm. She also suggested a campaign to increase more non-pork breakfast options in campus dining.

Committee chairs and nominations

Also Tuesday, Rep. Ariela Rivkin won the spot as chair of the Finance Commitee, beating out Rep. Qi Xi on a 14-3-2 vote.

Rep. August McGinnity-Wake will be the Sustainability Committee chair after beating Jennifer Sharp on a 14-4-2 vote.

Current ASM representatives were nominated first for committee and board appointments.

Rep. Zachary Pravato was nominated and appointed to the Student Services Finance Committee.

Reps. Edward Leonard and Patrick Corpuz were nominated and appointed to the Shared Governance Committee.

Reps. Leland Pan, Garrett Pauli and Daniel Roque were nominated and appointed to the Diversity Committee.

No one was nominated for Nominations Board, nor the Student Activity Center Governing Board or the Student Transportation Board.

ASM then voted on at-large appointments for SSFC, Finance Committee and the SAC Governing Board. Any UW student can be nominated for an at-large seat for SSFC, the Finance Committee and the SAC Governing Board.

Thuy Pham, Brett Ducharme, Stesi Manco, Henry “David” Morel and Natasha Thimesch were appointed for SSFC’s at-large seats and Brett Johnson will fill the SSFC elected seat.

Zhang Cai, Sam Gottstein, Eric Lavendar, Alyssa Leystra and Jason Postweilier were appointed for the Finance Committee’s at large seats.

Morgan Hill, Katrina Morrison and Abby Murphy were appointed for the SAC Governing Board’s at large seats.

There were no nominations to the SAC Governing Board chair or the Conference Selection Subcommittee. These positions will be filled over the summer or in the fall, ASM Chair Madison Laning said.

Laning suggested new representatives contact deans of their respective colleges and look into potential changes to the different colleges due to the proposed budget cuts over the summer.