Police arrest known felon on State Street

The Badger Herald File Photo

A Madison Police Department officer suffered minor injuries Friday night after arresting a wanted felon on State Street.

According to a MPD incident report, the event occurred at 11:46 p.m. on the 600 block of State Street when a member of MPD’s Gang Unit saw 19-year-old Xavier Davis, who was wanted on a warrant.

Upon arrest, Davis was found with a loaded gun in his shorts. Davis resisted arrest, and during the process an MPD officer sustained minor injuries while attempting to handcuff him.

According to the report Davis was arrested for Possession of Firearm by Felon, Possess with Intent to Deliver Heroin, Possess with Intent to Deliver Marijuana and Resisting and Obstructing on a warrant.

While MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said he could not immediately connect this arrest to the April 18 shooting at State Streets Brats, he did note the case is still under investigation and there are some similarities between the two events.

“They’re related in that they’re young people carrying firearms in the downtown area,” DeSpain said.

DeSpain also noted gang involvement as a connecting factor in both instances, as he said Davis is a known gang affiliate.

Shots fired at State Street Brats Saturday morning

Since the Brats shooting, MPD has increased its presence in the downtown area, DeSpain said. It was because of this increased presence MPD was able to identify Davis as someone wanted on a warrant, he said.