Madison City Council approves changes to Philosopher’s Grove

Erik Brown

In its first meeting since the April 7 elections, Madison’s City Council tackled a full agenda and approved changes to State Street’s Philosopher’s Grove.

The council voted to appropriate $25,000 to partner with Madison Central Business Improvement District to fund an activities program at Philosophers Grove, which is located at the top of State Street.

Historically, there have been problems with drug dealing and public alcohol consumption in the area.

Madison wants to remodel and add activities to Philosopher’s Grove

The resolution passed unanimously following a technical change in language from Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4. The funds will also go to the creation of a performance stage at the 100 block of North Carroll Street.

Verveer said local businesses such as Ian’s Pizza have also looked into using the space.

The council approved city funding to match federal funds to create a new satellite bus garage should the city receive those federal funds.

City board approves faster funding for transit system in need

The Council also approved a longstanding proposal to build Alumni Park between the Red Gym and Memorial Union, where there is currently a parking lot. The park will be interactive and may even feature its own app.

In preparation for May’s upcoming Revelry festival, council approved a no glass zone from North Park to North Lake streets for the duration of Revelry festival.

Verveer said this has been done in years past in preparation for the Mifflin Street Block Party and the practice has since continued for Revelry.

Mifflin: more than a place to drink on the street; ranked in U.S. top 10 most livable neighborhoods

At an afternoon council meeting, new alders were officially sworn into their leadership positions.

Ald. Denise DeMarb, District 16, was voted council president, replacing previous president Ald. Chris Schmidt, District 11.

University of Wisconsin’s Zach Wood also officially took his spot as the new District 8 alder. Wood replaced Scott Resnick, who gave up his seat for an unsuccessful mayoral run.