Soglin addresses civil disobedience, says participants should be prepared for arrests

Madison Mayor Paul Soglin criticized the strategies of Tuesday’s protesters, saying those practicing civil disobedience should be prepared for arrests and that police had acted professionally.

Soglin is known for his own student activism in the 1960s. In response to Tuesday’s events, Soglin stressed the definition of civil disobedience at a press conference Thursday morning.

“Civil disobedience is a symbolic non-violent violation of the law,” Soglin said. “The act must be non-violent, open and viable, illegal, performed for the purpose of protesting an injustice and done with the expectation of being punished. Civil disobedience results in the peaceful and nonviolent acceptance of arrest.”

https://badgerherald.com/news/2015/04/15/police-arrest-young-gifted-and-black-protesters-for-blocking-east-washington-avenue/

Students and adults rallied outside East High School Tuesday for several hours as part of a national movement against police violence as well as in protest of the officer-involved shooting of 19-year-old Tony Robinson.

Soglin said about 100 students from East and West High Schools walked out of class in protest. However, he made an effort to point out that a majority of students had stayed in class.

He noted that resistance is not part of civil disobedience and that if the participants of the protests are claiming to be acting in civil disobedience, they must accept the possibility of arrest.

Soglin said the city received numerous complaints about the protest, as it blocked a major road during peak traffic hours.

Soglin said police have been very flexible and patient with protesters. He said from what he saw from videos of arrests Tuesday, he believes police officers acted professionally and appropriately.

“Protesters were given numerous warnings to clear the street before being cited,” Soglin said. “In the future, while all of these protests are evaluated on a case-by-case basis, as the chief of police indicated yesterday, we will not be facilitating extended street closures.”

Leaders of the Young Gifted and Black Coalition have continually voiced discontent about the way police have handled the investigation of Robinson’s death, as well as related protests.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2015/03/25/young-gifted-and-black-seeks-to-educate-youth-discuss-issues-of-race-after-robinsons-death/

Soglin said if protesters truly understand the concept of civil disobedience, then they should know the consequences that will ensue, including arrests. He said police went beyond expectations and acted accordingly during protests.

“When you engage in civil disobedience, you are making a statement and you are accepting the notion that you will be peacefully arrested,” Soglin said. “If you’re not agreeing to that, don’t claim you’re engaged in civil disobedience because you’re not.”

Soglin said the city is preparing for the possibility of future civil disobedience and protests upon District Attorney Ismael Ozanne’s announcement of whether or not to charge Officer Matt Kenny in Robinson’s death.

Though Soglin would not go into detail of those preparations, he said the city will continue to honor the people’s right to protest.

“City staff, every one of us … have the same objective, which is to honor the right of the protest, [and] to keep everyone as safe as possible,” Soglin said. “That is paramount.”