Rep. Kapenga is running for Wisconsin Senate

Hayley Cleghorn

Rep. Chris Kapenga, R-Delafield, announced Thursday he plans to run for state Senate.

Kapenga will be running in the seat currently held by Sen. Paul Farrow, R-Pewaukee. During the election on Tuesday, Farrow was elected as Waukesha County Executive over Waukesha County Supervisor Thomas Schellinger.

Kapenga said in a statement he was proud of the role he took in advancing right-to-work and that Wisconsin was heading in the right direction.

“The Senate will need an experienced leader to fill the vacancy of Senator Farrow,” Kapenga said. “I am confident I can be that leader if the voters will trust me with that honor.”

Farrow said Thursday he would not resign from his position until the biennial budget is passed and signed, according to the Associated Press.

Kapenga said in the statement he ran for Assembly in 2010 because he believed the government is best when it works for the people. He said during his four years in the Assembly, his belief has been affirmed.

“I have worked hard over these past four years to listen to the community by responding to emails and phone calls as well as holding regular office hours in the district,” Kapenga said. “I will continue to work hard as a leading conservative common-sense voice in the state Senate.”

The primary and general election dates have not been announced yet, but are expected to be during the summer. The statement said Gov. Scott Walker will call the election dates upon Sen. Farrow’s resignation.