Regents approve increase in nonresident tuition

Hike will start in 2015-16 school year, will also affect some graduate students
Herald archives

University of Wisconsin out-of-state students will see a spike in tuition after the Board of Regents voted to raise nonresident and some graduate student tuition for most system schools Friday.

Tuition will increase starting in the 2015-16 school year. UW-Madison’s plan included raising out-of-state tuition for undergraduate students, which is currently $26,660 per year, by $10,000 over the next four years.

There was no move to raise tuition for in-state undergraduates, but international students and some graduate students will also see an increase.

“These tuition increases are very important as a way to close the estimated structural deficit at UW-Madison, but they solve only part of the problem and must be combined with budget cuts and other measures,” UW-Madison officials wrote in their proposal to the regents.

Out-of-state tuition would spike over four years with UW proposal

The increase comes after a proposal in Gov. Scott Walker’s 2015-17 biennial budget to cut $300 million of state funding from the UW System over the next two years.

Associated Students of Madison addressed the tuition increases at their Wednesday meeting.

ASM Chair Genevieve Carter said in a statement that the increase in out-of-state tuition creates a tuition-dependent funding model.

“Increasing nonresident undergraduate tuition by $10,000 over the next four years is ultimately making college less affordable and accessible to all students,” Carter said. “These requested raises would also most likely lead to a spike in in-state tuition increases at the conclusion of the current freeze.”

The increases will help bring UW System school prices up to market value, according to a statement issued by the UW System Thursday.

Regent Margaret Farrow said in the statement the system needs to stay tuned to Wisconsin citizens and also strive to be competitive with other state university systems.

“I’m sensitive that we stay in a comparatively good, healthy spot looking at our peer institutions and our competition,” Farrow said.

Board of Regents committee approves tuition increases for out-of-state, graduate students