Classified staff joins other university committees in opposing budget plans for UW

Pauliefred

University of Wisconsin’s Classified Staff Congress unanimously approved a resolution Monday that voiced its opposition to Gov. Scott Walker’s proposed budget, supported a transparent debate about the public authority and the existence of policy to guarantee shared governance.

The resolution conveys that UW staff and faculty are concerned about the size of the proposed budget cuts and how the proposed public authority status would affect provisions such as shared governance.

Gov. Scott Walker’s budget proposes $300 million in cuts for the UW System while giving the system more flexibility through a “public authority,” which has more autonomy than other state agencies. Among those flexibilities would be removing shared governance language from state statutes.

The Classified Staff Congress is a new governance group and it is beneficial to let them step up and have their voices heard, Darrell Bazzell, UW’s vice chancellor for finance and administration, said.

“I don’t know what impact [the resolution] will [have] but certainly it’s important for faculty and staff to have their voices heard and that’s what governance is all about,” Bazzell said. “Several groups have stepped up to make sure we all understand what the perspective is on these really important budgetary matters.”

The UW System is waiting to see how the conversation surrounding the budget progresses, UW System spokesperosn Alexander Hummel said.

The Joint Finance Committee began having public hearings around Wisconsin this week.

“This is an ongoing conversation and dialogue with the legislature so it’s a marathon, not a sprint, when it comes to the budget process,” Hummel said.

The Classified Staff Congress wanted to express the importance of shared governance and that they cannot determine if a public authority would be beneficial for the UW System without further information, Russell Kutz, chair of the Classified Staff Advisory Committee, said.

“What’s too severe and too drastic [with the cuts] is that we don’t think we’ll be able to provide a high level of service to the general public and for the students with cuts that severe,” Kutz said.

There was no discussion, debate or amendments made to the proposed resolution and it passed unanimously, Kutz said.

Board of Regents tackles public authority, looks to protect shared governance, tenure

The UW System will work with the Legislature to try to reduce cuts for the system, Hummel said, and they’ll also keep pushing for increased flexibilities, which can improve classroom education and student experience.

“In the right fashion, approving the flexibilities, whether they are vetted within a public authority that everybody agrees upon or within state statutes, the flexibilities that we need [can] help us reach greater efficiencies and effectiveness,” Hummel said.

Faculty Senate passes resolutions for shared governance, public authority

UW’s Faculty Senate passed similar resolutions in the past where members said they were unable to support a public authority until a commission has had time to evaluate the possible impact.