Mayoral forum addresses issues of racial disparity, poverty

Herald Archives

Mayoral candidate Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, and incumbent Mayor Paul Soglin focused on economic and racial issues at a mayoral forum Thursday at the Urban League in South Madison.

Questions raised at the forum emphasized plans to spur economic growth in southside Madison.

In their opening statements both candidates acknowledged the shooting of Tony Robinson and the problem of racial disparity which the incident represented. Resnick pointed to the need for action to ensure students have necessary support to excel in school. He said homelessness has increased sharply and many students in the city are homeless.

E. Brown

Soglin cited a need for increased cooperation within the city government and also noted the disadvantages minorities face in Madison.

On several occasions Resnick brought up Soglin’s absence from City Council meetings. Resnick said the mayor has missed more than a quarter of council meetings and highlighted his own perfect meeting attendance. Soglin responded by explaining his absences were due to worthwhile and educational trips, noting his visit to New Orleans for Cities United and other events.

Regarding promoting growth in South Madison, Resnick stressed the community must work to open businesses and create job opportunities. Soglin said the current problem stems from difficulties of creating plans due to the close border between the City of Madison and the nearby township.

“Every time you cross the street you’re leaving the city and you can imagine the legal difficulties of trying to put together a land use plan,” Soglin said.

Candidates also spoke about the lack of diversity within city leadership. Soglin agreed that more diversity is needed and pointed to his hiring of the city’s first black fire chief and police chief while also stressing the need to create more opportunities for minorities to advance within government positions. Resnick also agreed that more diversity is needed and said the government workforce must reflect the community which it serves.

“Right now there is only one manager of color in Madison,” Soglin said. “Unless there is leadership from the top then there can be regression.”

E. Brown

On the subject of community development, Resnick drew attention to the existence of hazing on some job sites, especially construction jobs. He referred to the recent disparity study Madison’s lethargy in funding the study which was proposed in 2013. Soglin also focused on construction firms and said more secure jobs must be accessible to impoverished people.

“The numbers that came back from the disparity study where absolutely jarring,” Resnick said. In regard to hazing he added, “People are going into a work environment in which they do not feel safe.”

In his closing statement, Soglin spoke about his desire to create more jobs, pointing to programs for summer youth employment and Urban League plans to create more jobs using a $300,000 grant; Soglin also mentioned cooperation with the private sector for jobs.

Resnick closed by highlighting Soglin’s “174 days out of his office” while stressing the need for leadership from a local level. Resnick also talked about his desire to bridge the digital divide, increase the accessibility of childcare and improve city transportation.