It’s official: Walker signs right-to-work into law

Obama expresses disappointment as Republicans praise speedy approval
Courtesy of Laurel Patrick

Gov. Scott Walker signed the controversial right-to-work bill Monday, officially making Wisconsin the 25th state to adopt the law.

Sitting in front of a sign that said “Freedom to Work,” Walker joined legislators and local officials in Brown Deer, Wisconsin to sign the right-to-work bill. The law allows workers in unionized workplaces to opt out of paying union dues.

Walker said in a statement that the bill put the power back in Wisconsin workers’ hands by giving them the freedom to choose whether or not to pay union dues and encourages job creators to continue investing and expanding in Wisconsin.

“Freedom to Work, along with our investments in worker training, and our work to lower the tax burden, will lead to more freedom and prosperity for all of Wisconsin,” Walker said.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2015/03/02/explained-right-to-work-debate-picks-up-pace/

While supporters say right-to-work brings workplace freedom and choice to workers, opponents argue right-to-work laws dismantle private-sector unions.

In a statement, President Barack Obama said he was disappointed in Wisconsin’s new law because it would weaken workers in the new economy. Obama said the rise of the middle class coincided with the rise of unions and right-to-work is part of an assault on unions.

“Wisconsin is a state built by labor, with a proud pro-worker past,” Obama said. “So even as its governor claims victory over working Americans, I’d encourage him to try and score a victory for working Americans – by taking meaningful action to raise their wages and offer them the security of paid leave.”

Wisconsin AFL-CIO hosted a number of protests against the bill at the Capitol throughout the session. Phil Neuenfeldt, president of the Wisconsin AFL-CIO said in a statement the right-to-work law continued Walker’s negligence for Wisconsin middle class families.

“From refusing to expand BadgerCare for the sick, to enacting tax cuts for the rich, gutting education and eroding collective bargaining rights – Gov. Walker has shown a true disregard for Wisconsin families who work hard every day to put food on the table and a roof over their head,” Neuenfeldt said.

On Friday, the state Assembly passed the bill with a 63-35 party-line vote after an overnight session. The bill soared through the Legislature in less than two weeks as an extraordinary session. These sessions are generally used to expedite bills.

Erik Brown/The Badger Herald

Assembly Speaker Robin Vos, R-Rochester, said in a statement he looked forward to seeing the positive impact the law would have on Wisconsin’s economic future and workers, praising Walker for signing the bill quickly.

“Worker freedom is now a reality in Wisconsin. No worker will be forced to join a union or pay dues as a condition of employment,” Vos said.