Heist soiled: Police arrest two for stealing $1,200 in DVDs in diaper bag

Barnes and Noble employee tailed suspects in getaway car as police were en route; suspect admits they needed “quick cash” for drugs
Creative Commons

Two people made off with more than $1,200 worth of DVDs concealed in a diaper bag Thursday afternoon, police said Friday.

The suspects, Abiola Ali, 42, and Samuel Wright Jr., 47, were arrested after they attempted to sell the merchandise stolen from the East Towne Mall Barnes and Noble, according to a Madison Police Department incident report.

The suspects were headed to a Pre Played outlet on East Washington Avenue where they attempted to sell 54 stolen Blu-ray discs.

A Barnes and Noble employee’s husband witnessed the suspects flee the scene in a getaway car. The witness and his wife chased the suspects’ vehicle after coworkers alerted the employee about the crime, according to the report.

Police were already on their way when the suspects arrived at the Pre Played store. According to the report, officers arrested them just as they were trying to sell the stolen merchandise.

The male suspect said in the report the two were trying to sell the DVDs because they needed “quick cash” for drugs.