Two UW professors receive Sloan Fellowships for math, computer sciences research

Awarded to young researchers in the early stages of their careers
Wikipedia user Almonroth

Two professors at the University of Wisconsin have been selected for Alfred P. Sloan fellowships to support their research in mathematics and computer sciences.

Sloan fellowships are awarded to 126 young researchers in the early stages of their careers, according to a UW statement.

Melanie Matchett Wood, assistant professor of mathematics, and Thomas Ristenpart, assistant professor of computer sciences, will receive two-year $50,000 fellowships to further their research.

The candidates are chosen through nominations given by fellow scientists in the community and a scholar board who reviews the research and leadership potential of each candidate, according to a statement by the Sloan Foundation. Candidate awards fall within eight scientific fields — chemistry, computer science, economics, mathematics, computational and evolutionary molecular biology, neuroscience, ocean sciences and physics, according to the Sloan Foundation.

Wood earned her PhD from Princeton University in 2009. Her research focuses on number theory, algebraic geometry and probability and algebraic topology.

Ristenpart’s research revolves around computer security, such as cloud computing security and customer privacy, and he said he is currently looking for opportunities to secure customers from external threats online.

Much of his research involves large companies such as Google, Microsoft and Amazon and begins with looking at new threats to customers, Ristenpart said.

“My research wouldn’t be possible without the support here at UW,” he said. “It’s a great place for research.”