UW senior to represent student voice on City Council

Alder-elect plans to use deep community ties to face district issues; will focus on public, campus safety; increased cost of area housing
Courtesy of Scott Resnick

University of Wisconsin senior Zach Wood, who will serve as the new city alderman for District 8, said he hopes to bring his unique perspective to city hall to best represent the student body.

The son of two Badger alums, Wood said he has a lifetime of experiences connecting him to the district that will enable him to properly represent it while serving on City Council.

“I have a terrific connection to the district … I was actually born just outside of it … so it is a very special place for myself and my family,” Wood said.

Wood will take the seat of current Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, who is running for mayor. Wood said he hopes to use his deep community ties to face the issues most prevalent in the student-dominated district, which he said included public safety, campus safety and the increasing cost of housing.

While city alders deal with issues that affect the whole city, many of those issues are important for University of Wisconsin students, council president Ald. Chris Schmidt, District 11, said.

“The current debate over Uber and Lyft is a good example of policy debate that affects students,” Schmidt said.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2014/11/17/new-rules-change-rideshare/

Alders may also serve on specialized committees and commissions, which helps alders become more involved on specific issues. Resnick, for example, serves on the Joint Southeast Campus Area Committee and an Ad Hoc Committee on Moped Parking.

Resnick also serves on the Landlord Tenant Issues Committee, which he said were among the most common problems he dealt with while representing the district.

Alders also deal with city events such as Freakfest and development issues, many of which are for student high rises, Schmidt said.

Wood raised concerns over the increasing cost of living in the district, stressing that future developments will need to keep the student perspective in mind.

“It is important to ask, ‘Can the average Badger afford this?’ ‘Is this something that is going to enhance campus?’ ‘Is this what students want, is this what the students need?'” Wood said.

Another issue facing the district is safety, Wood said, crediting Resnick for improving the lighting in both the Spring Street and Langdon areas, although he added there is always more the city can do.

“We always have to work on lighting,” Wood said. “It can always be better. Lighting is one of the best ways to cut down on crime.”

Maintaining a strong connection with students on campus is important in this district, Resnick said.

All district information and alder contract information can be found online though the City of Madison website. Wood said he believes he will have no problem keeping in close contact with the district.

“I think for me it will be fairly easy,” Wood said. “I’m quite familiar with the district. I have a lot of friends who are going to be here throughout the entirety of my term.”