Former UW football player, brother arrested in connection to several burglaries

Courtesy Flickr user Jib

A former University of Wisconsin cornerback and his twin brother were arrested last Wednesday in connection to several robberies around Madison, including two in the State Street area.

According to a statement, police arrested 28-year-old Jack Ikegwuonu and his twin brother William after a robbery at a Klinke Cleaners on Gammon Road on Madison’s west side.

Police located the men on University Avenue using a GPS tracker installed on their vehicle prior to the robbery at Klinke, the statement said.

After arresting the men, police found evidence in their SUV, including a gun and cash, the statement said.

The men are believed to be involved with four other robberies across Madison in November, including a robbery at Madison Modern Market on State Street Nov. 13 and a robbery at Life is Good on State Street on Nov. 18.

https://badgerherald.com/news/2014/11/19/suspect-at-large-after-armed-robbery-on-state-street/

The men were charged with robbery, and additional charges are expected, the statement said. According to the statement, investigators believe the men were using the money from the robberies to buy heroin.

While playing for UW in 2006, Jack Ikegwuonu and his brother were arrested for burglary and criminal trespass after allegedly breaking into an apartment in DeKalb, Illinois, where William attended Northern Illinois University. He was acquitted in 2009.

Ikegwuonu was suspended from the team due to the investigation December 1, 2006, but was reinstated two weeks later, allowing him to play in the Capital One Bowl against Arkansas January 1, 2007.