Upcoming Oral History Association Conference brings out unique aspects of Madison’s history

The Oral History Association Conference is holding the first Madisonian event of its kind this upcoming weekend to explore the city’s unique oral tradition and historical meaning.

The event, Oral History in Motion: Movements, Transformations and the Power of Story, will be held at the Madison Concourse Hotel from Oct. 8 to 12.

“It is a great opportunity for us to showcase what we have to folks around the country and the community. It is also a great method of preserving history,” Troy Reeves, the head of the Oral History Program with UW Archives, said.

According to their website, there will be more than 80 program sessions, or break-out discussions and topics within the conference. These include topics like oral history and social change, preservation and access and digital humanities as well as others.

An estimation of 250 to 400 people are expected to attend the conference, Mary Schultz, the catering manager for the event, said.

Both Reeves and Susan Cook, director of the School of Music and professor of musicology at UW, said the conference has great value.

“Conference attendees will hear about the work of others, get inspiration and share ideas,” Cook said.

Reeves said one valuable session is the screening of a documentary that follows two women through their struggles with domestic violence. The screening will take place Friday night. Oral history is used in this film to explore and discuss the topic of domestic violence, he said.

Cook highlighted another session involving a fellow bass professor and jazz master, Richard Davis. She said he is a great source because of his direct experience of working with other jazz performers.

Reeves said they asked for a grant from the Wisconsin Humanities Council and sought donations to help fund the event.

Cook said Madison has individuals worthy of the city’s attention because of their ongoing history projects. Having the conference will allow people to recognize the kind of work that is actually going on in the city, Cook said.