‘Battle of the badge’ blood drive commemorates Sept. 11 victims

The “battle of the badge” has kicked off for the third year, as Madison’s fire and police departments try to see which can donate the most blood while honoring Sept. 11 victims.

This weeklong duel started on Sept. 11 and is not limited to department employees, as public participants are encouraged to attend. The Never Forget Blood Drive is full almost every year, making it a successful way to help remember the thousands who died on Sept. 11, 2001, said MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain.

The drive started on the 10th anniversary of the terrorist attack and recognizes those who died or were injured, DeSpain said.

“This event is held so that people do not forget,” DeSpain said. “Through this, we also give back to the community and remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice.”

MPD won last year, with just one pint more than the MFD defending champions, but MFD spokesperson Lori Karst said this year would be a close battle and a tie-breaker.

The competition ends Thursday, Sept. 18th, allowing all members of both teams to donate on their own time.

The MFD holds this cause very close to heart, as its employees know one blood donation can save as many as three lives, Karst said.

“We truthfully did not want 9/11 to be just another day to go by. We wanted to bring consciousness and enlightenment to it,” Karst said. “This competition between two forces is a good way to help people never forget.”

Karst said she encourages those interested to visit the Red Cross website to clear up any misconceptions regarding eligibility to donate.

DeSpain said the event is also open to the public and called it a way for “first responders in Madison to gain recognition and respect.”