Northwestern dean named new UW Provost

Dean of Northwestern University’s Weinberg College of Arts and Science Sarah Mangelsdorf has been chosen as the University of Wisconsin’s new provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs.

In a university statement released Thursday, Chancellor Rebecca Blank said she was impressed by the diverse experience at comparable institutions that Mangelsdorf had.

“Throughout her career, she has experienced success at four Big Ten institutions, both public and private,” Blank said in a university statement. “She is both a top-ranked professor and a first-class administrator.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMlj9x2aMWs
Mangelsdorf gives her public presentation as one of four finalists for the job of UW Provost in March.

Mangelsdorf has experience with Big Ten universities other than Northwestern, including having received her doctorate from and taught at the University of Minnesota and having taught at the University of Michigan.

She also taught at the University of Illinois, serving as associate provost there as well as head of the Department of Psychology.

According to Chancellor Blank, Mangelsdorf will arrive on campus on August 4 in preparation for the 2014-15 academic year. The provost is responsible for the oversight and coordination of curricular, student and faculty life on campus.

“As I researched this role, I found that people I talked to had uniformly enthusiastic things to say about the University of Wisconsin-Madison,” Mangelsdorf said in the statement. “I am particularly excited to partner with Rebecca Blank and help build on the many strengths at UW.”

[Photo via Richard Hurd/Flickr]