Revelry concerns raised at city commission meeting

A City of Madison commission voiced concerns about controlling the entrances to this year’s Revelry Arts and Music Festival in a meeting Wednesday.

Madison Police Department Lt. Dave McCaw raised concerns about enforcing the no glass policy, a city ordinance, during a Street Use Staff Commission meeting. He said university police cannot write citations for violating the policy on city streets, including Langdon Street, where the event will be held.

McCaw said he is also concerned about enforcing the ticketed entrance to the event. He said proper fencing around the proposed area needs to be secure and monitored to contain attendees.

Tom Mohr, a city traffic engineer, said closing parts of Park and Lake Street would cause problems for Madison Metro routes.

Katie Sellner, a Metro Transit representative, said the street closure will affect multiple bus routes, and that even limiting the closure to Langdon Street would cause problems for transportation.

The lineup for Revelry will be announced Friday.

Plans for the festival include two stages located directly on the Memorial Union Terrace and in front of Science Hall, facing toward Langdon Street. The committee hopes to double attendance from last year’s festival and increase the lineup from 11 artists to between 12 and 15 local and national acts, which will be announced Friday. The event will run from noon to 10 p.m on May 3.

In addition to Revelry, several other campus events were presented to the committee.

Catherine Ruekert, Pi Beta Phi vice president of philanthropy, proposed two fundraisers for the sorority. Ruekert presented “Pie a Pie Phi,” an event on Library Mall where passersby can throw a pie in the sorority members’ faces to donate money to First Book, a charity dedicated to providing books to children in need.

Ruekert also presented about Pi Phi Phiesta, a late night fundraiser providing free food in the State Street area in a partnership with Get Some Burritos.

The commission will take up the street permits again in their March 19 meeting.

[Photo via madisonrevelry.com]