Revelry Music and Arts Festival announces location change for 2014

The R’s stand for “Really questioning life right now”

The Wisconsin Union Directorate announced Wednesday the second annual Revelry Music and Art Festival will be held on May 3 on Langdon Street, although organizers are still waiting for city approval on the location change.

The venue will be relocated to the Memorial Union and Langdon Street pending street permit approval, Bess Donoghue, Revelry spokesperson, said. Although press releases from the committee indicated organizers would also announce “this year’s musical artists” last night, Donoghue said the lineup will be released March 7.

The two stages, a decrease from last year’s three, are located directly on the Memorial Union Terrace and in front of Science Hall, facing toward Langdon Street, she said.

Josh Levin, executive director of Revelry, said the reason behind the venue move was multi-faceted.

“It came from the desire for us to have a much larger capacity. It also came from sustainability for the event,” he said. “We wanted to make sure the new location provided a longer lifetime for the event, and as construction finishes at Library Mall and surrounding areas, hopefully the event can get even larger and larger.”

Despite being schedulued for the same weekend, Donoghue said Revelry was not trying to compete with the Mifflin Street Block Party, but organizers were trying to  create an alternative opportunity for students to celebrate the end of the year

The committee hopes to double their attendance at this year’s festival, Donoghue said. Last year, Revelry reached 82 percent capacity, with 3,050 of a 3,700 maximum capacity in attendance, she said.

Donoghue said they hope to increase the lineup from 11 artists to between 12 and 15 local and national acts. The time frame for the event will be from noon to 10 p.m. rather than last year’s 11 a.m. to 6 p.m., she said.

Revelry will also be partnering with Frank Productions again this year, Donoghue said.

Art installations will be located across from Library Mall in the parking area between the Union and the Red Gym, and WUD Art is working with the committee to create the installations for this year’s festival, she said.

Levin said the committee hopes Revelry will become a part of the culture and will be a place that people will want to be on that day.

Additionally, the committee said no funding for Revelry will be taken out of segregated fees. The bulk of funding comes from the Wisconsin Union, Memorial Union Building Association and the Dean of Students, Levin said.

Tickets will go on sale on March 24. Student tickets will cost $5 in advance and $10 on the day of the event, Donoghue said. General admission tickets are $25 in advance and $30 on the day of the event, she said.

[Photo via Revelry]

Correction: This story originally misreported the ticket prices for general admission. It has been updated to include the correct prices.