Vacancies available for interested students on Madison city committees

Herald Archives

Interested in political science, legal studies or city government? Being appointed on a city committee is a unique opportunity for University of Wisconsin students to participate in and contribute to city matters.

Students are often unaware of these opportunities and several committees currently have vacancies.

The City of Madison’s website shows there are vacant positions for student representatives on the Committee on Sweatfree Purchases, The Landlord and Tenant Issues Committee and the Joint Southeast Campus Area Committee.

Two positions are also unfilled on the Warner Park Community Recreation Center Advisory Subcommittee and the Madison Food Policy Council for freshman students who are 19 years old or younger.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said even committees without vacancies accept student applications and will review them when they have an opening.

Committees with student chairs that are currently filled include the Alcohol License Review CommitteeJoint West Campus Area CommitteeVending Oversight Committee and Madison’s Central Business Improvement District Board.

The easiest way for students to get involved in any city committee is by filling out an application on the city’s website, Resnick said.

“The process is you fill out an application and if there becomes an opening, the mayor’s office interviews candidates and eventually the mayor has the final say on the appointments,” Resnick said. “The appointments are then sent to City Council for approval and, once approved, you are officially serving on a city committee.”

Resnick said in the past four years, city officials have noticed an increase in student applicants and appointments on city committees. He said becoming involved in a city committee is not only a phenomenal way to serve Madison but also to learn about the city processes.

With more than 80 city committees in Madison, there is something interesting for everybody, Resnick said.