State pro-life groups announce Girl Scout cookie boycott

A state pro-life group recently issued a warned to its members: “think twice” before buying Girl Scout cookies this year.

In its weekly newsletter, Pro-Life Wisconsin said only 15 percent of profits from each box of cookies sold goes to local Girl Scout troops while the rest is sent to regional councils and national organizations that fund “anti-life” activities.

“While some local troops’ activities may be wholesome, sadly, Girl Scouts USA promotes radically anti-life women, such as Planned Parenthood founder Margaret Sanger, as role models, regularly partners with pro-abortion groups like Planned Parenthood for ‘educational’ activities, and encourage girls to fight for abortion on demand,” the newsletter reads.

Pro-Life Wisconsin did not respond to requests for comment.

The American Life League recently sent a similar email to its membership, in which President Judie Brown announced a boycott of cookie purchases, termed a “Cookiecott.”

Brown’s email contained a flier the organization urged members to give to adults accompanying Girl Scouts selling cookies to explain why they chose not to purchase from them.

The Girl Scouts of America posted a response to the boycotts on its national blog which said 100 percent of the money made from cookie sales stays with local councils and troops.

“The Girl Scout Cookie Program is an important program for girls,” the post said. “Through this program, girls not only learn goal setting, but decision making, money management, people skills and business ethics: aspects essential to leadership, to success and to life.”