Madison Fire Department responds to fire at Porchlight housing [Updated]

A fire that could likely displace one resident occurred at the Porchlight homeless shelter this afternoon, Madison Fire Department officials said.

Firefighters were called to the scene at 306 N. Brooks Street at 2:26 p.m. and had the fire under control just after 3 p.m.

Porchlight Inc. is a group that provides emergency food and shelter to homeless residents in Dane County.

MFD spokesperson Lori Wirth said there were no injuries reported, and one patient was examined and released at the scene.

Wirth said the fire was contained to one unit on the fourth floor. She said firefighters were able to respond quickly because they had access to necessary keys through a Knox box.  

Only the resident in the unit and possibly the one below it will be displaced, she said.

Update (5:41 p.m.):

According to a statement from MFD, smoke was present inside the unit from floor to ceiling, which masked any flames. Firefighters used a thermal imaging camera to aim at the seat of the fire and were able to put it out “within minutes.”

While there were no injuries, a disabled occupant of a neighboring unit was carried down four flights of stairs where she was treated and released, the statement said.

MFD estimates the preliminary damage to be $15,000 in property damage and $5,000 for content.

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, the statement said.