Weather predictions cause city to declare snow emergency

Predicted snow accumulation for the Madison area caused the city to declare a snow emergency Sunday night that will last until at least Tuesday at 7:00 a.m.

Snowfall is anticipated to exceed three inches, according to a city statement. City employees began plowing at midnight and plowing is expected to take 10 to 12 hours, a city statement said.

The city is asking residents to remove their cars from the street if possible and if not to park on the odd house numbered side of the street, the statement said. Monday evening, however, vehicles should be parked on the even house numbered side of the street, the statement said.

Public parking ramps are available for parking, the statement said. The ramps are free of charge during a snow emergency from 9 p.m. to 7 a.m., the statement said.

The downtown isthmus area is considered a snow emergency zone, the statement said. The zone extends from Park and Proudfit Streets in the south to Thorton Avenue and Yahara River on the north, the statement said.

Residents can visit the City of Madison website for additional information about the snow emergency and parking restrictions.