3rd annual Yule Ball transforms Memorial Union into Hogwarts

The Yule Ball, organized by the WUD Publications Committee, provided students with a night of witchcraft and wizardry straight out of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Henry Erdman
The Yule Ball, organized by the WUD Publications Committee, provided students with a night of witchcraft and wizardry straight out of “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.”

Witches, wizards and muggles alike donned their best clothes and flocked the Memorial Union this past weekend for the Wisconsin Union Directorate Publication Committee’s third annual Harry Potter-themed Yule Ball held Saturday.

The committee partnered with the Harry Potter Alliance and collected book donations from attendees for the charity Read Indeed, in an effort to promote literacy in the Midwest.

Have you seen this wizard

The event took a page from “Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire” and featured performances from several different student organizations, including campus acapella  groups Jewop and Redefined. Students, like Ben Amann and Alex Dworak (pictured above), could also participate in Triwizard Tournament style games and sample various foods inspired by the wizarding world.

grffyndor girls

Attendees donned anything from formal ball gowns to character-inspired attire. Freshmen Laura Aprill, Elena Mederas and Neva Fuller (pictured above) arrived at the Yule Ball dressed as girls from the house, Gryffindor.

Whomping Willoq

Attendees choosing to arrive in costume could participate in the committee’s costume contest and costumes ranged from students dressed as Ron Weasley to Fawkes the phoenix to the Whomping Willow.

hedwig

Brooke Schumann, dressed as the Whomping Willow complete with the Weasley family car stuck in her branches, ultimately won the costume contest for the evening. Kelly Kanavas (pictured on right) along with WUD Publications Committee director Ally Jagodzinski, planned the event.

Photos taken by Henry Erdman.