International Education Week to highlight global opportunities

In an effort to celebrate education about international issues and prepare students for a global environment, the University of Wisconsin will kick off International Education Week Monday.

Through a variety of events held throughout the week, International Education Week gives students the chance to learn about the type of opportunities that is out there for them, offers the chance to realize that traveling around the world can help them continue to be successful, Kerry Hill, the Division of International Studies at UW director of public affairs, said.

United States ambassador Ian Kelly will be at UW throughout the week and will speak about careers in foreign service and be available for students to interact with, Hill said.

Another major event of the week will be the international resource fair, Hill said. The event will give students the opportunity to get out and learn about what they can do with their education outside this country, she said.

“There are a lot of resources across campus and international programs for students, and they are coming together through the resources fair for a one stop shop for students,” Hill said.

Michelle Kern Hall, assistant director of the International Internship Program, said the international resource fair is a time for the Division of International Studies to come together and inform students on different avenues they can take with their life.

Hall said companies are looking at international exposure in students more and hiring people based on not just their education.

“The world is becoming more interconnected, so the world is looking for people that will be able to interact with people from other parts of the world,” Hill said.

Hall said not only is study abroad an opportunity, but doing an internship abroad can also be a beneficial experience.

While the week will be a good celebration for International Education, Hill said many events similar to this occur year-round that students can participate in to further their knowledge of the entire world.