UW System pres. reflects on term

Outgoing University of Wisconsin System President Kevin Reilly reflected on his time as the head of the Wisconsin’s public higher education system and his hopes for his successor at the Rotary Club of Madison Wednesday.

The next UW System president must focus on innovation in order to help Wisconsin succeed and maintain the strength of the system, Reilly said.

He said change is occurring across the education spectrum in Wisconsin, adding these “positive innovations” within the classroom are necessary for the benefit of Wisconsin.

During his time as president, Reilly said the system had record enrollments and graduation rates. In the 2011-2012 school year, there was a 46 percent increase in science, technology and engineering majors as well as health degrees compared to 10 years ago, he said.

Reilly said since he became system president, more than 330,000 degrees have been awarded and the door for higher education for Wisconsin residents has become more accessible, evidenced by the fact that more than 93 percent of Wisconsin state school applicants were admitted to at least one state school in 2013.

Reilly also cited the UW Flexible Option as a way to “open the door to college obtainment for people whose degrees cannot be met through the conventional methods.”

According to Reilly, more people older than 24 are enrolled in colleges in this country than those who are younger than 24.

“Post-traditional” students are vital for UW schools and the system must work to get these students through to graduation to be competitive, Reilly said.

However, Reilly said the system will face challenges due to a growing achievement and income gap across the country. UW must remain an institution that is an accessible gateway for all people, he said.

As the financial platform of the higher education system in the state changes and federal and state support continues to decline, it will be important to look at other potential sources for funding such as private funding, Reilly said.

He also said the system must continue to find ways to attract top faculty for both education and research at our universities and doing so will help build upon the Wisconsin Idea.

Reilly said it has been an honor to lead the UW system. He added if he could pass one message along to the next president, it is that they should recognize the “vital importance of the institution that they lead.”