Dane County district attorney announces run for attorney general

Dane County District Attorney Ismael Ozanne announced his bid for state attorney general Thursday morning after days of speculation on whether he would enter the race.

Ozanne filed papers with the Government Accountability Board Thursday and announced the campaign in an email sent to his supporters.

“The people of Wisconsin want an Attorney General who is an experienced front-line prosecutor with a deep commitment to working on behalf of all the people of Wisconsin in order to enforce the law, protect and uphold the constitution and protect our shared values,” Ozanne said in the email. “That is who I am and that is what I will bring to the Attorney General’s office.”

Ozanne is set to face Rep. Jon Richards, D-Milwaukee, in the Democratic primary.

Waukesha County District Attorney Brad Schmiel registered as a Republican candidate in the race last month.

The Republican Party of Wisconsin released a statement following Ozanne’s announcement, calling him “an extreme partisan” who puts politics above public safety.

“As a leader in the Department of Corrections, Ozanne helped implement the failed Early Release program, which put hundreds of dangerous criminals back on the streets. Wisconsin can’t afford Ismael Ozanne as its top cop,” RPW executive director Joe Fadness said in the statement.