National women’s group endorses Burke

Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mary Burke received the endorsement of a pro-choice women’s organization Thursday for her 2014 campaign.

Burke’s spokesperson Joe Zepecki said EMILY’s List is a notable organization working to put pro-choice women in office, and is known for getting involved in successful campaigns.

“EMILY’s knows how to win here in Wisconsin,” Zepecki said. “They don’t get involved in races that can’t be won. We know that Mary Burke can win, and we know that Scott Walker is vulnerable. The fact that EMILY’s is an organization that knows how to win is very valuable to us.”

Zepecki added Burke can appeal to a broad audience, as her practice of putting problems before politics has led to support from both male and female voters across the board.

“Looking at the governor’s time in office, we recognize that Wisconsin can do better in creating jobs and educating students,” Zepecki added. “And we will do better with Mary’s brand of leadership.”

The League of Women Voters of Wisconsin Executive Director Andrea Kaminski said although the organization encourages female participation in politics, EMILY’s List’s endorsement of Burke will not have an influence on how the women members of the organization will vote.

The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan organization in all 50 states that advocates for informed and active citizen participation in government, Kaminski said.

“One of the things we do is encourage women to run for office – and that much is great – but I don’t think it will have any real affect on the women members of our organization,” Kaminski said.

In addition to EMILY’s List, Progressives United, a group founded by former U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., has promised to fund Burke’s campaign, according to its statement.

Both organizations and Burke support pro-choice abortion rights for women, the statement said.

“Mary supports women’s freedom to make their own personal health care decisions,” Zepecki said. “With the funding from these groups, we’re hoping Mary will be the next glass ceiling shattered as the first female governor for Wisconsin.”