Aaron Rodgers’ campus visit to highlight Amnesty International initiative

The University of Wisconsin’s student chapter of Amnesty International will host a rally to raise awareness for the Conflict-Free Campus Initiative on Monday at the Memorial Union Terrace, featuring Green Bay Packers’ quarterback Aaron Rodgers and HBO’s “Entourage” actress Emmanuelle Chriqui.

The rally will seek to raise awareness for the problems connected to purchasing certain electronics and the actions Amnesty International-UW is taking to help the people of Congo, Ellen Sellers, Amnesty International member, said in an email to The Badger Herald. CFCI works to raise awareness for electronics that are “conflict-free,” meaning their proceeds will not help finance war in eastern Congo, she said.

A national initiative founded by the Enough Project, CFCI is part of the Raise Hope for Congo Campaign, Sellers said.

The rally will host guests and speakers who will address the root of conflict in Congo and look to create resolutions on campus, Sellers said.

“We are part of a growing movement that draws on the power of student leadership and activism,” Sellers said.

Sellers said this initiative allows students to express their desire for conflict-free products from Congo and therefore encourage university officials, stakeholders and those who purchase mass quantities of electronic devices from Congo to purchase conflict-free products for UW.

UW’s size and status makes it a suitable candidate for promoting the campaign, Sellers said.

“As a progressive leader in education, UW must commit to examining the social forces of production in relation to its technological investments,” Sellers said.

Sellers said the conflict in Congo is “complicated” and “immense,” and the purchase of electronic consumers is directly tied to the problem. This initiative can help directly ease the violence, she said.

By pressuring electronics companies to remove conflict minerals from their supply chains, students can help remove fuel from the fire in Congo, Sellers said.